While the world of sports betting may be confusing at times, leaving inexperienced betters wondering how and who to bet on, wagering on greyhound is straightforward and relatively easy.It's all about beating the oddsmakers, winning money and, most of all, enjoying the whole experience.
Traditionally, betting on greyhounds would involve finding a greyhound track where you could watch the race and place your bet. Luckily for those who enjoy the comfort of their own home or simply don't have enough time to go to the races, online sports betting lets you have fun placing bets without the need to leave your house.
To place a bet online, you need to consult a bookmaker's website- there are many to choose from, with Williamhill.com and Ladblokes.com being some of the most popular. Once you choose the service you are most comfortable with, you need to decide what type and amount of bet to wager.
The best way to do this is by consulting an odds checker website where you can analyse the odds before placing your bet. There's a wide range of odds checker services available online but the one I would suggest using is . What makes this service stand out is the fact it combines sports news with sports betting advice and allows betters to buy and sell tips from each other.
Whether you decide to rely on oddsmaker's advice or trust your intuition, there are a few important things that you should consider before placing your bet .
First of all, you need to think of the dog's age – race dogs are usually in their top form at the age of two, bitches at three. Also, remember to bet on greyhounds which have a history of running good races and are often in good form. Don't get carried away – you don't want to end up spending money without analysing your chances first.
Think about the odds price and value and decide which type of bet you would want to go for before making your decision!
There's a number of different types of bets; here's an overview of the most popular ones:
- Straight bet or Single or Win bet. The most common type of bet.
You collect when the dog you've selected is the first to cross the finish line.
- Place. You collect when the greyhound you selected finishes first or second.
- Show. You collect if your selection finishes either first, second or third.
- Across The Board. This consists of three individual bets on one greyhound to Win, Place, and Show.
If your dog wins, you collect on all three bets. If it comes second, you collect on Place and Show. If the greyhound you selected comes third, you collect on Show bet. The total wager is the individual bet x 3.
- Combination Bet. This covers from two to four greyhounds to win in chosen order.
- Quiniela or Reverse Forecast (UK).
A bet placed on two greyhounds to finish first and second in either order. A type of bet placed on two dogs to finish either first or second.
- Perfecta or Exacta or Straight Forecast (UK). A bet placed on the first two dogs to cross the finish line in exact chosen order.
- Trifecta or Tricast or Treble Forecast (UK).
A bet placed on the first three greyhounds to cross the finish line in exact order.
- Superfecta. A bet placed on the first four dogs to cross the finish line in exact chosen order.
- Twin Trifecta. This is a multiple pool bet.
There are two trifecta selections in two races. One you select the winning Trifecta combination in one race, you exchange the ticket for a second Trifecta in the following race. One-half of the net Twin Trifecta pool will be paid equally to those who won the first half once the tickets are presented to be exchanged.
The remaining half of the pool will be to winners of the second half. If no one selects the second half correctly, the pool is carried over to the next racing performance.
- Tri-Super. You select the winning Trifecta combination in one race and then exchange the ticket for a Superfecta in the next race.
- Titanic Tri-Super. This type of bet is the same as the Tri-Super, the difference is that you have to correctly select the Trifecta combination in the 5th Race and the Superfecta in the 7th Race.
- Daily Double. You need to select the winners of the first and second races on given day.
Your bet must be placed before the first race starts.
- Jackpot. You need to pick six winners in six different races to share in a Jackpot prize.
- Parlay or Accumulator. This is a multiple bet. You will make simultaneous selections on two or more races in order to press the winnings of the first win on the bet of the following race selected.
You win the parlay only when all of your selections win. If a race is a tie or cancelled, your parlay gets automatically reduced by one selection; so a double parlay becomes a straight bet and a triple parlay becomes a double.
- Pick 3. Choosing winners of three consecutive races.
- Pick 6. Choosing winners of six consecutive races.
Have fun and good luck!!